cracked drain pipe replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

levelhead

Reaction score
As I was replacing a leaky bathroom faucet in my recently purchased 40-yr old house, the drain pipe connecting the p-trap to the in-wall drain cracked due to corrosion. So I am left with about 5 inches of pipe to be replaced. There is a collar that looks like it can be unscrewed at the wall. Are these connections ususally soldered? Do I need to unscrew the collar or the pipe? I don't want to try unsrewing it and mess anything up.

The existing sink is wall mounted so all the drain pipes are chrome. I plan on installing a pedastal sink in the future. Any problems with replacing all drain pipes with PVC and connecting into the in-wall drain?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's probably a slip compression fitting. Loosen the big nut (you can unscrew it completely) and what's left should slid off of the stub in the wall. If there is a nut, it is not soldered. That nut compresses a gasket around the stub to make the seal. You can buy replacements in pvc or chrome plated copper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks