Help in Removing this screw/bolt

Users who are viewing this thread

specs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am trying to remove this screw. But i have no idea how. Maybe you guys can help out.

Hope i post this in a correct section.

Thanks in advanced for your help!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It is not a screw. It looks like a rivet. If it is you can drill it out.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Yeah, looks like an aluminum pop-rivet. Use a drill bit slightly larger than the hole, and carefully drill down to separate the top head of the rivet from the rest of it. You can then use a small punch to punch out the rest of the rivet.

specs

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies.

I think i have to extract the rivet instead of punching because they are mounted agasint the fixed window frame.

Theres the actual piece which is attached to my window girll that i want to remove:

And how should i drill it? From the side to remove the head?

or Are there other ways to remove it without a drill?

Thanks again for your replies =D

Last edited:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Yup, they're pop-rivets.

Also called "blind" rivets, they're used when you can't get to the back side to buck a conventional rivet. Here's a Web site with lots of info: http://www.emhart.com/products/pop.html

There's a neat video that shows how they're "popped" in place -- click on "How they work". To remove them, you drill out the head and use a punch to drive out the body of the rivet. Like any rivet, the backside is bulged out (that's what holds things together) and it's impossible to pull the rivet out through the front of the work unless you're willing to drill a huge hole.

Once you see how they're placed, the removal process is pretty obvious. If you're careful, you won't enlarge the hole in the workpiece, so you can replace the rivet if you need to re-fasten something in the same place. The downside is that the "dead" body of the rivet falls into whatever space there is behind the work and stays there forever, rattling around.

>>Are there other ways to remove it without a drill?<<

You can use a sharp chisel to remove the head, and then punch out the tail, but it takes a better chiseler than I to not screw up the surface of the workpiece.

Drilling is a snap if you use a sharp drill. The drill should be the same size as the hole in the workpiece, and the punch should be just large enought to fit in the hole in the rivet. Some people like to use a large drill and magically stop just as the drill is about to contact the workpiece. It's easier than it sounds.

Last edited:

Finnegan

Reaction score
I don't suppose there is a removable pin in the hinge.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks