Sears Shallow pump replaced, T on Inlet, pressure over 60PSI

Users who are viewing this thread

educateme

Reaction score
Hi

I did the steps you advised about replacing the inlet pipe with a new T and some PVC pipe to remove the leaky union, it seems to have worked, I do not hear air leaks in my pump when it is off. I do hear some rattling in the inlet pipe as it pumps that leads me to think there might still be air in the well inlet line, although it is totally buried and has been for many years.

I have a shallow well that has a lot of organic sediment that i can see in my clear water filters that are attached on the outlet side of my pump going into the house, I change the filters about 3 months or when dirty etc. The filters are new right now and the sediment isnt real bad yet.

My question is, I am using the very same new Sears 3/4 HP Jet Pump as my old Pump, both were using built in 40-60 PSI pressure switches, and my air tank has about 37-40PSI of pressure when the tank was empty using a tire gauge.

Now I have the new pump turning On at 40 PSI but it runs a lil bit longer than the old pump did, and the pressure gauge on the water says it is up to 65PSI before it cuts Off. The pressure in the house is good and strong so I dont think my (new) filters are clogged. I wonder what could be causing the pump to go to 65 PSI? Is there an adjustment I can make to the pressure switch, or air tank, or could there be some sediment blockage in the pressure tube to the switch?

Is 65 PSI a bad amount and would dropping it back to 60 PSI be a good thing to try to do? I dont want to overstress the pipes, pump or plumbing etc.

any ideas?

thank you

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valveman

The pump you have may just have a hard time reaching 65 PSI. Loosen the big adjustment screw (3/8 nut driver) in the pressure switch until it shuts off at 60 PSI. (probably about 2 or 3 rounds) Turn power off before adjusting this screw. It is very close to the 240 volt points. Don't get shocked. After this adjustment is done, see where your pump starts. Make sure you have about 2 to 5 PSI less air charge in the tank than the pump start pressure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the nipple to the gauge is mostly clogged (and installing a new pump probably stirred up some additional sediment), it could be mostly clogged. I'd remove the gauge and nipple and check to see if it is clogged. If the old pump turned off at 60, with the same control it should turn off the new one at 60.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks