Need advice mounting a Plasma HDTV

Users who are viewing this thread

Rdtompki

Reaction score
Will the tv stand off far enough from the wall to provide clearance for the power and a/v plugs or are there recesses in back of the tv at the locations of the outlets? For the power receptacle you could use a clock receptable (recessed) which would allow a flush mount. I don't know about the av, but there would be a way to similarly recess the av box.

the_elf

Reaction score
rdtompki said:
Will the tv stand off far enough from the wall to provide clearance for the power and a/v plugs or are there recesses in back of the tv at the locations of the outlets? For the power receptacle you could use a clock receptable (recessed) which would allow a flush mount. I don't know about the av, but there would be a way to similarly recess the av box.

There is room on the back of the TV for the cables to fit while it's on the wall. I haven't measured (SHAME ON ME! :D ), but there should be room. The ports on the TV are somewhat recessed, but the back of the TV where the mounting hardware attaches is deeper than where the inputs and power are. Plus, that 2x10 comes out of the wall about an inch, that with the mounting hardware, I should have plenty of room.

the_elf

Reaction score
Update:

Mrs_Elf decided that she wants to paint the back wall a different color, making it sort of an accent wall. So, she got started with this, and then got out of my way:

the_elf-01.jpg

There's the mount. It was tricky to hang from since it's so close to the wall, and since the mantle was in the way. But, I was able to hold most of my weight on it:

And then I got the receptacle tied into the existing circuit:

I have a surge suppressing outlet on it's way from an online order, but I wanted to go ahead and get this tied into the existing circuit since I'm putting the thing up there tomorrow.

the_elf

Reaction score
CAT5e is with the rest of the low voltage.

I hung on the mount, and the wall didn't come down. So, unfortunately, the TV will not be raffled on Terry's site. :D

Saturday morning the thing was all done:

the_elf-02.jpg

Anyone have a good (and I mean GOOD) aquarium screen saver? That one is just a cheap ass free one that I found on a Google search. The fish go off the screen, and I was hoping for one that is a little more real.

I've got drywall screws to put in that little panel that covers the wiring job. Screw that in, mud it up, and then Mrs_Elf will get back to the painting.

Seen a couple of movies on it now that it's up on the wall. It's awesome!

Thanks to everyone here that has offered advice and guidance! This has been a DIY project that I have really enjoyed. :) Terry, you've got a great little forum here, and I'll have to stop in and say hello on my next big DIY project.

Prashster

Reaction score
Hmmm...is it slightly off center?

;)
just kidding. this was a fun thread. Congrats!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks