Replace toilet during remodel?

Users who are viewing this thread

Tomel

Reaction score
We're remodeling our master bath and the contractor suggested replacing the toilet with a new one since he has to remove the toilet to re-tile the floor anyway. The existing toilet is in good condition and works fine, although it's a 1991 vintage.

My question, should we go ahead an replace the toilet? I know that the new low flow toilets will save some money on water, but are there any other reasons that make replacement smart?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Replace it if you just want a cute one, but toilets will last 60 years or more. Just because he has to take it up isn't a very good reason unless you have a problem with it.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Tomel said:
We're remodeling our master bath and the contractor suggested replacing the toilet with a new one since he has to remove the toilet to re-tile the floor anyway. The existing toilet is in good condition and works fine, although it's a 1991 vintage.

My question, should we go ahead an replace the toilet? I know that the new low flow toilets will save some money on water, but are there any other reasons that make replacement smart?

Yea. During a remodel is a great time to replace the toilet with newer low flow technology that has emerged since 1991. Toilets get pretty nasty after 15 years. The new tech Works as good as your old one with less water. I just replaced 2 as old as yours during 2 remodels. Consider a Toto. It's a well kept secret--you cant find them at big box stores.
Consider the new Dual-Flushers; Toto Aquia being one. Kohler has new one as well.

Your new tile will look perfect with a new toilet. It's like this:
If you buy a brand new car--would you put old floor mats in it...? naw.

I originally came to this board looking for a source for a particular product.
What I learned completely turned my thinking around on a lot of plumbing issues and products.

The better answer to your question is this: Spend some time on this message board before making a decision. At this juncture you do not know what your options are. Read the reviews about what is highly rated...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks