City Sewer Or Septic Tank?

Users who are viewing this thread

JUST ME

Reaction score
Hi Im Hopeing Someone Can Give Me Some Direction. I Live In An Older Home (purchased Just Under 1 Yr. Ago) (as-is) We Had No Inspections. Until Aprox. 2 Months Ago There Were 2 People Living Here Now There Are 4. We Noticed A Rotton Egg Smell, Gurgling Pipes And Ground Saturated And Overflow Into The Driveway. The Smell Is Inside And Out. We Are Paying City Sewer However There Is A Concrete Cover Right Next To The House Where The Overflow Is Coming From. We Had Someone Come To Pump It And They Said THAT THE PROBLEM WASNT COMING FROMTHERE ANDThey Think We Have A Septic System. Dont Know What To Do Or Where To Go To Ask. Any Info Would Be Appreciated.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You obviously have a serious problem. I would suggest you contact a plumber in your area to check out what you have and what the problem is. It seems a bit odd that you would be paying for city sewer but have a septic system, but who knows. I think you're paying a price for buying a home without an inspection, but that's history. You can't just guess this away, you need expert help and need it now.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
cover

If water is coming out of the concrete cover, then it may be a cleanout to cure the problem or a grease trap for the kitchen sink. A plumber can perform a dye test to see if you are connected to the city sewer. I have had customers who were paying a sewer fee, but that was their portion of the cost for installing the main. They never paid a plumber to actally do the connection.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks