Water heater leak

Users who are viewing this thread

jsouthco

Reaction score
I have a leak in my waterheater. It is dripping from the shaft on the release valve at the base.

Can I just remove this valve and replace? What steps do I need to take to do this?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The drain at the bottom?

Replacements are sold at the hardware stores.
If the tank is not old, maybe that is the fix,

or it could be coming out the bottom, but leaking elsewhere.

jsouthco

Reaction score
It is the drain at the bottom. It appears to be leaking from where it attaches to the tank. What I am worried about is that it is an older (20 + years) model and the drain is plastic (cpvc). I am worried it will snap off when I try to remove. Do they just screw out?

I am assuming I will want to shut the heater off, drain and then replace....

Anything else I need to know?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, turn off the power and water supply. Open a hot water faucet then open the valve to drain the tank. The valve then just screws out of the tank. Of course, in the real world those valves may not want to come out, but hopefully it will. I'm sure you know that 20+ years is far beyond normal life expectancy for water heats, but as long as it is still working for you, it's sure worth the price of a new valve.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Yes they just screw in and out BUT based on it's age it will most likely snap off leaving the threaded part in the tank. You can still replace it bt prying the plastic out, in peices if necessary, and then replace it with a brass one. You may want to drain it down first so your not dealing with hot water while doing it.

You may want to consider replacing the heater based on its age. It won't last a whole lot longer and the new one should have a much better recovery rate.

Last edited:

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
If you get the leak stopped, replace the heater anyway, so you don't come home to a mess and it might not be very convenient time to go out and get a new one.

jsouthco

Reaction score
What (on average ) should I expect to pay for a new heater and install? (it is a gas heater)

V

vaplumber

Lol! Just replaced a heater that was installed in 1963!!! Replace that valve with a brass one, clean the tank out really well, and dont worry about it! Keep a close eye on the unit if there is no drain pan under it which there probably is not, and replace the heater at the first sign of dampness. I am convinced that the new units will not last as long as your older unit.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
That heater may have lasted as long as it did because it is a plastic valve. Steel is more anodic that brass in the galvanic series and tends to cause corrosion of the steel. A drain valve is probably a good place for a CPVC valve.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks