Solar waterheating ,Hot water plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

ajom

Reaction score
I have installed a solar water heater. For carrying hot water I have used GI pipes. Whether It is a bad decision? I have to wait for some time to get the Hot water because hot water pipe is not insulated. What is the best way to insulate it? Please advise me . I am from India.

Thanks
Thomas

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

Galvanized iron pipes are not an extremely good conductor of heat, so the water will not lose as much temperature between the faucet and heater as it would with copper. Therefore, while insulation will help, your main problem would appear to the distance the water travels, and thus the volume of cooled water that has to be evacated before the hot water can flow, and insulation will not help that to any noticable extent.

ajom

Reaction score
hj said:
Galvanized iron pipes are not an extremely good conductor of heat, so the water will not lose as much temperature between the faucet and heater as it would with copper. Therefore, while insulation will help, your main problem would appear to the distance the water travels, and thus the volume of cooled water that has to be evacated before the hot water can flow, and insulation will not help that to any noticable extent.

Whether insulation will help in keeping the water in the pipe hot ? So that it will reduce the water to be evacuated before hot water can flow?
Thanks
Thomas

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Insulation will only increase the time it takes for water in the pipes to cool down. Therefore, whether it will reduce the amount of water used before it gets hot at the faucet depends on how frequently the faucet is turned on, in addition to the amount of insualtion used.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks