Sand in well water

Users who are viewing this thread

WellWaterProducts

In the trades
Reaction score
Everything here points to a poorly constructed well. A 1.25" point should fit in there but may not solve the problem. If you try the cheesecloth method be certain that you have a reliable method of retrieving it.

Can I add a question to this?

My well seems to be sucking sand all the time. Let me give some background and what I have tried and we'll see if any of you have any advise.

When I first had this well installed, the guys came and water jetted the bore hole. They finished up by installing a pipe they had glued up before they came. It was a 2" PVC pipe with a PVC Point at the bottom. I think that at some point before they left, they fractured the 2" pipe because it turns freely at the top of the well when I am attaching the top connection.

I never could get this setup to hold prime. Tried several things. So, I then decided to consider the 2" PVC as a casing, and inserted an 1 1/4" pipe inside the 2" pipe, connected to a check valve and then the pump.

This setup seems to work fine except that sand plugs my sprinkler heads. It also seems to have ruined a check valve. I tried using a pressure washer fed from this well and the inlet quickly plugged with sand. That was last year. This year, I pulled the 1 1/4 pipe, and put a fine screen inside the foot valve and replaced the ruined check valve. At the beginning of this season, the well pump kicked on and ran for a couple of hours without pumping any water. I think it blew a seal somewhere, but, it still pumps so I am using it until my seal and gasket kit arrives. After running the pump for several hours watering my lawn and turning the pump off, there is fine sand under the pump where the water runs out of the housing.
Now, I have pulled the 1 1/4" pipe higher in the 2" pipe, but, I am still sucking sand. Someone suggested that I take a length of pipe at the bottom of the well, and drill several holes in it, and secure cheese cloth type material at the bottom of the pipe to screen out the sand. I am at my wits end on how to deal with this sand. I would like eventually to feed an underground sprinkler system with this well, but, cannot until I deal with the sand.

Does anyone have any advice? Should I remove the foot valve and drill holes in part of the bottom of my suction pipe and right above the pipe where the holes have been drilled, place a brass check valve to keep prime?

Thanks for the help!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks