(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: 1 diverter or 2?

Question 1 diverter or 2?

Hi
    We are installing a whirlpool,shower combo next week and I have a question regarding the plumbing. My wife would really like a rain shower, which is no problem, I have lowered the ceiling 3 inches for the copper line. She would also like a lower placed handheld unit for cleaning the tub. Is it possible to have a double diverter to allow the water to drain out of the rainshower and also the handheld. I'm new here,I hope you understand my question
    Thanks
    Dave

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Yeah, it can be done. You may not get much flow unless you have a 3/4" supply line, and it takes a lot of hot water. Depending on the brand of fixture, 3-way divertor valves are available.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I just had my line increased to a 3/4" coming in, but knocked it down to a 1/2'at the tee. Not to concerned about the hot water, we have a large tank, could you recommend a company that sells these ie. A/S, Kohler, Delta? My wife saw some faucets she liked at HD. they are called Pegasus, part of another firm, Glacier Bay I think, ever hear of them?
    Thanks
    Dave

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

I'm not a pro...in my remodeling, I've been using Grohe stuff. Some people love em, some hate em. HD's Expo centers carry them, and Lowes, but you don't see them at the orange boxes. Personally, I also like a temperature controlled valve - set the desired temp and don't worry about it, summer to winter, first shower or last - always the same temp (until you run out!). You can view most of their stuff at their website. *********.com carries a bunch of different brands if you wanted to go on-line.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Cool Deb

I am partial to Delta and Moen. I have trouble getting Grohe parts and technical support. Pegasus valves drive me nuts. Virtually every single install, I need some special part, usually an extension of some kind for a tile/granite install. They are very good about getting the special part to you, but it is just a pain in the ...
    I would put in 2 complete separate valves before I would start sticking in a buch of divereters--it's probably cheaper too. I put a rain shower head and a handheld on a slide bar with a tee (with little shut-offs) on my shower arm. I have both of them on most of the time while I am showering, have good pressure, and adequate hot water. Shower heads only put out 2.5 gpm at 80 psi (which few people have), so I indulge just a little, usually running the hot water out. I will eventually put in 2 valves (just moved).
    Deb
    The Pipewench

Default glacier bay

Glacier Bay seems to be a subset of Home Depot. I have never been impressed with their faucets or finishes. I would stay with one of the major lines since it will be in the wall for a long time and there is no guarantee that Pegasus will not change models or patterns and "orphan" the ones you might install.