Advice for relocating sink fixtures

Users who are viewing this thread

netrouter

Reaction score
I am in the process of installing a wet bar and I need to relocate my plumbing fixtures. The previous owner removed a wet bar and reversed the fixtures into the garage for a sink but I am brining the pipes back into the living room and want to move them about 4 feet to an adjoining wall. I have attached pictures which show the drywall removed from the fixtures and a red square indicating where I would like to relocate the fixtures. The piping is all 1/2 galvanized, and you will notice the drain is pvc.

I was wondering what the best method is for turning the fixtures back around and running them down the wall to the new location. Is it a simple hack off the pieces, drill holes through the studs and relocate the pipes?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated especially around the relocating of the drain.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCN0520.JPG
    DSCN0520.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 831
  • DSCN0518_r1.jpg
    DSCN0518_r1.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 828

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipes

You do not "hack" steel pipes, you unscrew them. You may be better off running the pipes to the corner and bringing them into the side of the cabinet. Trying to go around the corner will make a much harder job, and will introduce some code violations in the drain line.

netrouter

Reaction score
Thanks for the info I think I will come in through the side as you suggested. Reading through the forum I have read that putting galvanized back into a house is a bad idea since copper has taken over. Since I am tearing into several walls should I use this time to splice copper into my galvanized system anywhere I am moving pipes. Although I am only replacing about 10 feet of galvanized with my re-routing projects I don't want to stick this stuff back in if it is going to give me problems.

Thanks for the help.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
hj said:
You do not "hack" steel pipes, you unscrew them. You may be better off running the pipes to the corner and bringing them into the side of the cabinet. Trying to go around the corner will make a much harder job, and will introduce some code violations in the drain line.

What do you do when they ARE hacked off? Run a die over the end to get some threads and then go to town?

Thx,
Jason

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
YES, you'd need to thread those stubs and screw on unions at each end since you can't thread a pipe into both ends at the same time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks