Kitchen Remodel - No previous dishwasher

Users who are viewing this thread

home222

Reaction score
Alright, I'm a new homeowner that does not have a lot of maintenance experience. My kitchen is an eyesore, so I'd like to refinish (sand down and restain) the cabinets, purchase a new countertop and install, repaint, and then redo the kitchen floor. While doing this, I'm also going to install a dishwasher. Unfortunately, a dishwasher did not exist before.

I'm going to have to cut into the existing cabinetry to make space next to the sink for the dishwasher. The cabinet is a double door cabinet that is wider than the width of the dishwasher. My assumption is that I'm going to have to make some sort of cut and place some filler back in to give the dishwasher support. Any suggestions or detailed instructions?

Thanks in advance,
MW

LonnythePlumber

Plumber, Contractor, Attorney
Reaction score
Support from Floor

Dishwashers support from the floor with stablizing screws in the front that go into the counter top. You will probably need about 24 1/4" wide for a 24" dishwasher. Also check your depth and height. If you have hand built cabinets instead of pre-builts, they may not be deep enough or tall enough.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Basically, the dishwasher just sits there in its hole. To keep it from sliding out, they usually have a couple of screws into the bottom of the countertop. While it is most common to have the dishwasher right next to the sink, it is not imperative. I have a small U-shaped kitchen, and opted to put the dishwasher on the other side of the U from the sink. The plumber ran a flexible copper supply water line to it (I elevated the cabinets about 3" because I'm about 6'2" and ran it under the resulting platform), and pvc back to under the sink where a barbed fitting was used to attach rubber hose at either end to the garbage disposal input and the output of the dishwasher at the other end. Seems to work fine for the last couple of years! Most people put it next to the sink cause it is easier to make the connections, but it doesn't always have to be.

Bob's HandyGuy

Reaction score
If you use a stain with a flammable solvent, make sure any pilot lights are off. They do make water-based, polyurethane refinishing products. The top coat goes on milky but dries clear. Much safer to use and easy clean up.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

Use a double fixture stop on the kitchen hot line. The stainless steel hoses available now make the water connection easy. You will most likely need a brass 3/8 MIP x 3/8 compression 90 (not included with the dishwasher). The dishwasher can drain into a disposer (remember to remove the knock out plug) or a tee on the tailpiece. Some code requires an air gap--a device mounted in the countertop that the dishwasher hose connects to and then runs to the kitchen sink drainage. Otherwise, the drainage line should be looped up as high as possible under the cabinet and secured before going to the disposer or tailpiece tee.
Make sure that you know the electrical requirements of the dishwasher and your local code. If it is not hard wired in, you will need to purchase a pigtail.
Remember to secure the dishwasher to the underside of the countertop.
Deb
The Pipewench

K

kathywhite

I agree the plumber ran a flexible copper supply water line to it (I elevated the cabinets about 3" because I'm about 6'2" and ran it under the resulting platform), and pvc back to under the sink where a barbed fitting was used to attach rubber hose at either end to the garbage disposal input and the output of the dishwasher at the other end. Seems to work fine for the last couple of years! Most people put it next to the sink cause it is easier to make the connections, but it doesn't always have to be.Well, I am in the middle bathroom remodeling too but I am having bad time finding website that are related to this topic.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Chestnuts

DIY Member
Reaction score
Shoot, the dishwasher does not have to be close to the sink. Look how mine was hooked up. They are across the room from each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks