Converting Double sink vanity to single sink

Users who are viewing this thread

KarenWondergem

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first time here, and I would like to know if anyone has resources/directions/advice on how to convert the plumbing of a double sink vanity (two separate lines) into one line for a single sink. My thinking is to cap off one and then move the other to the center of the area, since the vanity will need to be centered, but we have no idea how to do that. Plumbers are quoting 500.00, we have lots of DIY experience but never had to tackle plumbing before, and also have never paid labor on anything we've done and don't want to start! ;) . Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Prashster

Reaction score
If yr gonna be a diy plumber (like me), make sure you know 2 things:

1) How to sweat copper (assuming you have copper water lines)
2) How the plumbing vent system works.

IMHO, diy plumbers (like me!!!) are intimidated by 1 and underestimate the importance of 2.

If the entire wall is going to be concealed with cabinets, you can run the extensions (drain, water) outside the wall. Keep proper pitch (1/4") on the drain to the new location. If the distance to the new location is short enough(check the requirement) the old vent might be sufficient for the new drain.

IMHO, this will be a lot easier for people like u and me. The alternative is to open the wall and locate/tap into the dwv behind the wall. If those lines aren't conveniently behind the wall, it can get complicated - especially w/the vent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
sink

You can cap off one and extend the other, but the way you do it will determine whether you have a good or bad installation. I am glad you have never paid labor for anything you have done, but most people know their limits and accept that fact, rather than spend more time, money, and effort trying to make something work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks