Inspections - How to plug?

Users who are viewing this thread

Prashster

Reaction score
I'm preparing for the rough inspection of a bathroom basement. I've been told I need to "plug the system and fill the system to 5 feet". I have a sink, toilet, shower draining below slab to sewage basin.

How do I do this? Insert test plugs in the sink, toilet, and shower and then fill the system up until the vent has 5ft of water in it?

Does this mean I need a cleanout 5+feet up to be able to fill?

I guess this also means I need to plug the sewage basin inlet too, right?

Finnegan

Reaction score
If you are just roughing in these fixtures, then it should be pretty easy to plug the lines as you can just cap them off with pvc caps. (I assume that you have not actually installed the fixtures yet.) However, I am not sure how you address the basin. I have never installed one of those. I expect the basin is supposed to be water tight though so that you would fill that as well. You can fill the system throught he vent pipe from the roof until the inspector is convinced that you are 5 feet above your new work. Perhaps someone here will have more experince with sewage ejectors and pits.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
test

An inflatable or wing nut type plug in the pipe inside the basin, and orange push on, or in, caps at the fixture openings will plug the pipes. Then you can either cut the pipe at the 5' level and fill it or fill the pipe all the way to the roof.

Prashster

Reaction score
Thanks all.
The vent is shared with the rest of the house, so I'd have a lot of plugging to do if I filled from the roof, so I'm gonna have to cut into the pipe.

I left one of the fittings uncemented, so I guess I can fill from that point.

Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks