"slip fit" spigot with an interupt is leaking past the o-ring and into the wall

Users who are viewing this thread

someguy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm having problems with a "slip fit" spigot with an interupt. The original started to leak past the o-ring when the shower was on and I figured it had dried out and/or cracked. I bought an exact replacement (Moen) and that seemed to do the trick. Unfortunately, after about 6 mos. the new one has started to leak as well. It doesn't happen every time. Only once and a while, sometimes a little, sometimes a lot. The water is seeping past the o-ring and following the pipe into the wall. (And down to the kitchen below :( )

Is there some way to increase the effectiveness of that o-ring? Should I caulk the ba-jezus out of where the pipe enters the wall? What's the "right" way to fix it?

Thanks,
-Bill

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the pipe is not perfectly round or has some nicks in it, it will leak. Overtightening the setscrew could do it, using the thing as a handle could bend the pipe as well. You might consider soldering on a male adapter, and buying a screw-on spout.

someguy

Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info! The pipe does not appear bent to the naked eye. I'll throw calipers on it this weekend to make sure it isn't ovalized.

I don't think it's scratched or nicked either... Can I smooth it out with fine emery cloth or sand paper? If so, how fine would it need to be... or would that make things worse? Is there anything I can apply to the o-ring or pipe to help it seal?

I was wondering about converting it to a screw on stye. I'm reasonably intelligent and mechanically minded. I feel that I would have no problems converting it. All the same,
is there a how-to on the web you could direct me to if I choose that route?

Thanks again guys,
-Bill

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks