Replacing Dishwasher: Can't turn off supply valve!

Users who are viewing this thread

thegoldenhand

Reaction score
I need help again guys. I am trying to replace a dishwasher. At the same time I am also installing a supply line for my ice maker/water dispenser. I will be using an adaptor for the ice maker/water dispenser line. At the very first step, I am already stuck. I dunno whats going on but I can't turn off my supply valve. It is so hard and won't turn even for a bit. I don't want to force it and make matters worse. What can I do to fix this without having to replace the supply valve itself? Can I spray some WD40 into it? TIA

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can try something like oil, but if it's old, it may be time to change it.

In some codes, if there is a check valve or PRV in the system, you will need a hammer arrestor at the dishwasher and the icemaker.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would trash that adapter and install a real valve and reducer adapters to the ice maker. Those adapter things seem simple enough, but they tend to go bonkers after awhile. As far as the other problem, replace the valve.

thegoldenhand

Reaction score
I currently have 3 supply valves under my kitchen sink. First 2 is for the hot and cold of the kitchen faucet. The other 1 is used exclusively for the dishwasher. Is this a hot water or cold water line? What does dishwashers normally use?

Coz if it's hot, then it's not where I will have to connect the adapter for my fridge ice maker/water dispenser line. I will have to connect it to the cold water supply valve that is currently being used by the faucet.

Anybody know? Hot or cold? Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I've got 4 shutoffs under my sink, H+C for the faucet, a cold for a filter, and a hot for the dishwasher. A bunch of t's...

What might be simpler, if it is acceptable to you, is to replace the single outlet valves there now with double valves (these have two outlets rather than the more normal one). Hassle is, you lose the supply to the sink when you need to turn the thing off. Benefit is, you don't need a new T and pipe.

I actually built my cabinets up on a 3" pedestal to make the counter higher...I ran the tubing for the DW and fridge under it, but behind the cabinet, below the floor of the cabinet against the wall should work fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks