Pressure Tank to outlet, how far is too far?

Users who are viewing this thread

dsk

Reaction score
I have a well head located 500 feet from the farthest point where I need to get water (a spigot at my garden). I plan on laying 100 psi poly pipe in a trench, and splitting off two runs along the way. One run will carry water into my cabin (used monthly) and the other will carry water into a barn.

Is it ok to place the pressure tank close to my well head (where I have power) and pressururize 500+ feet of polypipe?

And if that's ok, then what's the maximum feasible length of polypipe you would want to try and run/pressurize from a pressure tank?

Thank,
DSK

Last edited:

Speedbump

Reaction score
I have 800 feet of 1" 80 psi poly feeding a couple of faucets at the back of my tree farm. I can run one sprinkler very well with it. I haven't tried to use more than this at any one time, but if you want, you can check the friction charts for plastic pipe at any given flow rate and see how much loss there will be.

Just be sure to run the right size for the amount of water you plan to use, or you will be sadly disappointed.

bob...

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you find that you are getting irregular flow at the end of the line, then you can add a second pressure tank at the end. It will sustain the pressure while the water in the line gets flowing.

dsk

Reaction score
Two great posts, thanks. The added pressure tank is a neat idea. I'll be running 1" polypipe the whole way, and my water usage will rarely ever be more than one faucet working at a time (this is a weekend cabin with very little demand on the well). So I hope to have good results.

V

vaplumber

Bob NH said:
If you find that you are getting irregular flow at the end of the line, then you can add a second pressure tank at the end. It will sustain the pressure while the water in the line gets flowing.

Very good idea. If you sue the right size line, you should have no problems. Your system should work fine.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks