water hammer????

Users who are viewing this thread

nickyg

Reaction score
I have a leaky upstairs shower head. Today I wanted to work on the leak, so I shut off the well pump and tried to drain my pressure tank by turning on the shower. The pressure was winding down, but then I started to get very loud water hammering. Am I doing something wrong? It sounded like it may be coming from the hot water tank??? How can I turn the water supply off to the shower so I can work on it???

Thanks,
NickyG

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You mean there isn't a shutoff between the pressure tank and the house? I'm sure a real expert will have a better comment, but I've found that I get really strange noises when I drain the pressure tank, as the bladder inflates. Since the water heater is ideally the first thing the incoming water hits, any bladder-tank noises would be heard there.

Be sure and turn the WH off if you're going to shut off the water.

nickyg

Reaction score
more help please

need more help please..... Are these noises okay?? Will they happen regardless of how I drain the lines. Will they damage the plumbing throughout the house. I will try closing the valve after the pressure tank and see if that works better to cut off water to the shower on my next attempt..

thanks

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks