What is the best plumbers epoxy or glue for PVC?

Users who are viewing this thread

hawksnest

Reaction score
In order to make a very strange but neccessary PVC drain trap arrangement work I must somehow glue an 1 -1/2" PVC male threaded adapter into
the female end of a regular 1-1/2" PVC T fitting (meantfor glueing with PVC cement). Its a fairly close fit(though obviously not intended for this ). If I fill it with epoxy so it oozes out when the two are joined, will this permanently seal the joint? I need an epoxy that will bond this together permanently and never leak. If I can achieve this it will save me a WHOLE lot of work.

The reason I must do this is because the old PVC trap parts are from a
company that went out of business and new stuff won't thread on. Getting rid of the old is a big job because it is barely accessible and glued on. So I must add on
with a new T which must be epoxy'd on.

Can I count on this staying sealed and what's the best product to use that will bond to PVC and hold up over time for wide joints.

Thanks for your help.

JH

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
This kind of kluge would never be accepted by an inspector. The only approved method of joining PVC is with proper solvent cement, and this does not apply to a fitting with threads.

V

vaplumber

proflex.jpg

I agree. Sounds like you may have some sort of european or other odd thread. I would cut the pipe beyond the threaded part and if the actual pipe is a standard size, glue in a union. If the pipe is an odd size, use a rubber transition fitting (banded or hubless) and a couple of clamps to make it fit. Odds are when trying to glue on a threaded fitting, the size will be just odd enough to create a long lived leak.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

If you sent us a picture of what you are trying to accomplish it would help a lot, since the description seems a bit illogical. But they also make street "trap adapters" that glue into a bell/socket of a fitting.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes you can pull out or chip out the pipe or fittings.

That's how I attack these things. Go back to where you can use the right fittings.

If I'm removing a pipe from a fitting, I saw it off even with the hub,
Then make two cuts about 3/8" apart on the pipe, carefull to not cut through the hub.
The with a flat blade screwdriver, you can start working the pipe away from the hub starting with the 3/8" section.

You should be able to snap out the old pipe, and you will be ready to glue in a different pipe or fitting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks