pvc to abs glue

Users who are viewing this thread

thenewguh

Reaction score
Hello all.
I searched around first regarding connecting pvc to abs and found that some folks are ok with using transition glue, but didn't see anything about using a hubless encased in concrete. So, here goes.

My problem: I have abs drain pipe in a shower i'm remodeling. I'm on a slab in california. I have access to the complete trap, which I plan on cutting out and replacing. Problem: My drain is pvc and I don't want to wait another week to reorder an abs drain if possible.

So, can I:

1) put a new abs trap on and use transition glue to glue the pvc drain to the abs riser?

or

2) put a new abs trap on and use a fernco hubless to connect the pvc drain to the abs riser?

I will be filling up the hole with concrete, so should I be nervous about using the fernco connection since i'll be encasing with concrete, or just go with the transition glue and call it macaroni?

thanks!

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have used solvent cement that is labeled for ABS and for PVC. It seems to work well. It was available at HD. I always use purple primer but many people don't like the looks of the runs on white PVC, so you can probably use clear primer.

thenewguh

Reaction score
thanks for the reply, bob.

And, did you only prime the pvc and not the abs with that solvent?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a technique for assembling plastic pipe joints.

First, cut the pipe square, using whatever tooling is required based on your skill.

Then I de-burr and chamfer the outer edge, and the inside edge of the pipe if the flow is into the pipe.

I thoroughly clean and prime every surface, until the printing on the pipe is removed. Then I put adhesive on every surface; no "holidays" or missed spots.

I assemble the joint in a way that lets me give it a quarter turn as I finish the assembly, all the way to the stop in the fitting, and hold it in place for a few seconds so it doesn't push out due to the tapered fitting bore.

I never get a leak at a cemented joint.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
proflex.jpg

You could use a shielded coupling like this, and skip the glue all together.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks