Toilet installation - enough clearance?

Users who are viewing this thread

cosmokramer

Reaction score
hi all,
I'm completing a bathroom in the basement, that has already been roughed in when we built the house. However, it seems the 4" drain for the toilet is a little close to the stud walls. The drain is in the corner of the roughed-in bathroom, 10.75 inches O.C. from 1 stud wall and 13.5 inches O.C. from the other stud wall. My question is... can I fit a toilet in this location? Or Do/Should I break up the concrete and relocate the drain in a better spot possibly in combination with an offset flange?
I'd really rather find a toilet that fits...however i don't want to be backed into a corner either ;)

i'd appreciate an help..... thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I think that I read most building codes require 15" from the centerline of the toilet to the finished wall. SOme people find this makes them feel confined and a larger space is required. Even if you found a toilet that would fit, it might not pass the inspection. I'm surprised it passed the rough-in inspection. They did not do anyone a good deed by placing it where they did, since a standard toilet requires 12" from the finished wall to the centerline of the flange. You don't have that in either direction.

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

You can purchase 10" rough-in toilets, but this does not address the 13.5" side clearance, which will be 13" when rocked. I would recommend that you either move the stud wall to give you a minimum of 15" or break up the concrete and move the flange. I doubt that an offset flange will work and I only use them if there is a structural member that cannot be cut into. Removing the concrete and relocating the flange is generally not that bad. If you are not comfortable with relocating the flange yourself, you can do the concrete and dirt removal and hire a plumber to do the plumbing part of this job.
Deb
The Pipewench

cosmokramer

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. Moving the stud wall is not an option...as it is load bearing. I'm not really keen on buying a 10" toilet at 3x the price either.
Sooooooo...it looks like some concrete is goin to meet its demise ;)
Thanks so much!
Giddyapp!
cosmo

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto's that use the unifit adapters use the same toilet with different adapters to allow installation at 10, 12, or 14". Good toilets, but moving the toilet drain is still probably the better idea - you won't have a problem with inspectors or on resale of the house if you provide the approved clearances. You could still go with Toto (made in Georgia) - biggest manufacturer in the world by a long shot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks