(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Overflowing well

  1. #1

    Default Overflowing well

    My well is overflowng out the top of the well casing and making my front yard a swamp. I have a 1" inch overflow pipe that runs from the well casing to the woods in the back of my house approximately 150 feet. The overflow pipe always has water coming out but it is only slightly greater than a trickle. I have started to dig up the overflow pipe to see if it was crushed or broken and have not found anything yet. Once I have the pipe uncovered I am considering changing the pipe to a 2" pipe by putting a converter 5 feet or so away from the well casing, but I am worried that it still won't be flowing great enough out of the well. I am not sure I want to get into changing the adapter from the casing becasue I know that can be a cause of contanimation.

    I open to all suggestions but I am trying to do it myself.

  2. #2
    Moderator valveman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Lubbock, Texas

    Default Valveman

    You should have a well seal that does not allow water to flow from anywhere except the over flow pipe. If the over flow pipe is not crushed or pluged, you may have a bad gasket in your well seal. If it is letting water out, it can certainly let contamination in. A picture might help explain your problem but, if you don't want to mess with the well seal, you should probably call someone.

  3. #3


    I actually did have someone come and put a new cap on the well and it is suppossed to be watertight but it has a screened air vent that the water is coming out of. Should the cap be sealed so water can't get to that air vent?

    It is a campbell well cap WTC6 seal cap. I was told that the air vent needs to be there and can't be plugged becasue it may create a vacuum in the well.

    This is the website with a picture of the well cap.

  4. #4
    Previous member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Riverview, Fl.


    Don't worry about a vacuum in the well, that's an old wives tale. Just plug that little hole the screened fitting now occupies and all may be good.


  5. #5
    In the Trades Bob NH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    New Hampshire


    If you can make a connection at the vent using some kind of rubber seal that permits you to adapt a pipe, then here is a means of getting both a vent and stopping the flow.

    Connect the pipe where the vent was and run a small PVC pipe up in the air. You might want a 1" or larger pipe just for stability. Use a post or stake to hold it vertical. Put a pair of elbows on the top so the last one is pointing down and put a piece of screen over it. The pipe must be high enough so no water comes out of it.

    You probalby don't even have to cement the pipes so it will be easy to remove when the water table drops.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts