bluegreen water stains

Users who are viewing this thread

pudman

Reaction score
i recopper piped my house about 4 years ago. now i'm getting a bluegreen stain around the waterline of the toilet. its not just a wipe it off stain. there is an actual buildup that needs a lot of elbowgrease to remove. i do have culligan water treatment but not for the toilets. by filling a ceramic bowl from the culligan source and let it sit, i get the same thing. kind of eliminating that being the problem. the water co. says its cheap copper pipe. all the nipples coming out the wall are brass. copper main from the street. any clues?

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Is the water chlorinated? Do your neighbors have any kind of water treatment serving the toilets?

You may not have done yourself a favor by running un-Culliganed water to the toilets. When I put in my water treatment system I initially thought it'd be a big waste of treated water, and planned on plumbing the toilets seperately. A wiser man than I told me that toilet mechanisms and bowls like clean water just as much as we do, so I ran good water everywhere and I haven't regretted it. Intermittent problems I had with a PA toilet have disappeared, and the bowls look clean enough to drink out of (at least our cat thinks so).

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
blue green-

its probably the type of soldering flux you used back then.

If you used LACO it will do that....

some other fluxes will wash out with a blue green tint to it....

if you are on a well, you could clorinate the well

turn the water conditoner to by-pass and then turn on all

your faucets and pull up the dilluted bleach through all the

pipes and then let it sit for a while....

you got to fill the heater and wait till you can smell it

in the hot side of the faucets.....

the longer you can let it sit the better...

that should clean it out

it will either fix the problem or make it worse for a while...

pudman

Reaction score
ok..i don't know what kind of flux was used. plumber is long gone. lol probably used that and thats why he's gone. if so is there any way to remedy the problem?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Blue/green staining is usually caused by copper in the water, so have the water tested for copper. Low ph, less than 7.0, causes copper corrosion which adds copper to the water and probably caused your repipe job to be necessary.

All the water in the house except the outside faucets should be treated.

There is no such thing as "cheap copper" tubing so call the water guys back and tell'em so and ask why your water is doing this. They won't tell you if they know but you'll show them you don't believe their BS and put them on notice.

What type water treatment do you have from Culligan? A softener, an acid neutralizing filter?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks