User ratings

Users who are viewing this thread

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Terry, Just complete computer geek curiosity here. How does your site manage the user ratings (Junior Member, Member, Senior Member, etc) Is it purely by sheer number of posts, and/or time of membership (very common approach to sites), or is there actually someone rating folks based off quality of the advice/post being put out there (Rare/Time consuming, but exceptional). No real reason to ask this besides curiosity.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Gouranga said:
Terry, Just complete computer geek curiosity here. How does your site manage the user ratings (Junior Member, Member, Senior Member, etc) Is it purely by sheer number of posts, and/or time of membership (very common approach to sites), or is there actually someone rating folks based off quality of the advice/post being put out there (Rare/Time consuming, but exceptional). No real reason to ask this besides curiosity.

I'm a message board veteran so Im going to weigh in with the simple answer available. ALL message board software rates you according to volume of posts. Has Zip to do with experience level or quality of advice (not sure what you mean there).
I feel awkward with my "senior member" moniker conversing with a 20 year veteran plumber-it IS misleading.
I NEVER take advice until I research the credibility of the person giving it.

So, to sum up...it's a flawed system no doubt...but "it's our flawed system"

Much advice is subjective. Some technical issues have several ways to approach a problem. OTOH these guys know the codes as well. The Overall advice here is Outstanding.

HTH

Mike50

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
User ratings are by number of posts.

I did "turn on" ratings, so now you can add to someones reputation.

If you want something special under your name, other than senior, junior, let me know and I can change it.

Gouranga

Software Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Believe me, I have found every piece of advice I have gotten here usefull. I would not trade this site for anything. being a professional computer geek though I had to ask. I have built systems for people where they wanted the ability to rate people as I mentioned. it was against my advice since doing so requires a LOT of subjective decisions, takes a lot of time, and truly, will cost you users.
I will say one thing. Out of a lot of board I go to, I am impressed at how fast Terry responds to questions/comments are put to him. I have been on a few boards where these types of posts were like throwing a letter into the grand canyon.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Terry said:
User ratings are by number of posts.

I did "turn on" ratings, so now you can add to someones reputation.

If you want something special under your name, other than senior, junior, let me know and I can change it.

Can you put Electrical Engineer under my name? :)

Thx
Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks