Pouring Lead Toilet Flange

Users who are viewing this thread

Amatuer123

Reaction score
Hello, I decided to remove the complete old flange and lead in my concrete basement and have some questions. While hammering the old flange I must have hit the lead? pipe riser and it now has a half inch (from top) hairline crack which is visible on the outside and inside. Don't know if the crack is a problem; surface of riser is still flush and will be partially surrounded by lead. Also, I will be adding back concrete I assume around the flange and don't know what order to do this. I assume I'd lead it first. For now, I have this order planned:

1) Set flange to proper height; i.e 3/8 inch above floor for 3/8 inch tile.
2) Fill w/ oakum and lead. How much oakum and how much lead? (too what level) At this point the flange is @ 1/2 inch higher than the riser if the flange is 3/8 above the floor and hope this isn't a problem.
3) Fill concrete around flange after lead sets.
4) Tile floor.
5) Set/secure flange to concrete.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance, Joe

Attachments

• Toiletta.jpg
    Toiletta.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,044
  • Toilet Flange.jpg
    Toilet Flange.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1,730

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
There are a few different types of PVC flanges that you might want to consider. They go inside the 4" and may block/cover the crack. The crack may cause problems down the road when / if anything leaks out or the crack lenghtens. The flange should set on top of the finished floor.

Amatuer123

Reaction score
Hairline Crack

Thanks for the advice Cass. I'm coming to the point where I may become a gongoozler because I don't want to mess this up. I'm wondering if there's a way to fix the crack? I'll do some research and maybe call a plumber. Thanks again, Joe

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Maybe I don't understand what you said but lead won't crack.

The stub looks like steel pipe or cast iron that has been cut with a band saw.

Either way you need to use a cast iron flange.

Amatuer123

Reaction score
Thanks Plumber1. I'm planning on pouring a lead joint w/ oakum, etc., and hope this all works out. The riser will be about a 1/2 inch below the top of the cast iron flange so I'm assuming I'll pour the lead up to the height of the riser and I will reduce any negative effects of the hairline crack.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks