Bathroom Counter Support Frame

Users who are viewing this thread

JohnWC

Reaction score
I would very much appreciate anyone's advice on how to support a granite counter that we hope to install in our bathroom.

Our bathroom is 72" long x 44" wide, and I was originally planning to put a 36" cabinet at one end of the 72" wall and a small 12 - 15" cabinet at the opposite end with the plywood/granite counter extending across them. After measuring things up however, the toilet would pretty much block a small cabinet from opening and closing.

My wife very much wants a full length granite counter, but I'd rather not put in a non-usable cabinet just to support the plywood/granite. I hope someone can recommend a sturdy method to support the counter without a cabinet at one end.

I am considering to screw 1x1's along the empty length of the 72" wall to the corner, then from the corner along the adjacent wall, then from the adjacent wall back to the 36" cabinet. I am worried however about the strength of such framing, the limited number of wall studs to screw the frame into (2 along the 72" wall, 1 along the adjacent wall, and 1 or 2 in the corner), and whether I can properly locate the wall stud(s) in the corner.

I hope someone has encountered such a problem before or if someone may have some better ideas.

Soon to learn carpentry,
JohnWC

Prashster

Reaction score
Put a drawer under the counter with a leg support on the front corner on the wall side. i.e., make it a 'desk'.

Heck! The toilet is the chair!!! Add an internet connection and some coozies for cold drinks, and you'll never have to leave that prison-sized bathroom!!!

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I would run this by the granite company. It sounds like a very long unsupported span. I don't know if this is appropriate with granite.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
You could get a stainless steel (or aluminum or carbon steel) frame fabricated to support the countertop. Something similiar to this was done on This Old House infact to make a floating countertop. You could attach this to the studs with some bolts.

Jason

JohnWC

Reaction score
Thanks For Everyone's Help

The bathroom is small, but I had a typo and it is 72" x 64".

The granite folks were concerned about the span. They suggested a rectangluar frame with a cross beam and having at least two posts running up the adjacent wall to support the far edge of the frame and another post along the cabinet wall at about midspan of the frame. They called the posts "cleafs" (sic).

I like the idea of a drawer, and I am going to measure things up to see if I can still fit a cross beam on either side with "posts" around the drawer frame perimeter. If it doesn't work out, I think the metal frame should be sturdy enough, especially if it has corner gusset bars/plates with post supports.

I don't know about putting a computer and desk. My wife spends enough time in the bathrooms already. On the other hand, if I also put in a Mr. Coffee during football season I could watch the games all day.

Thanks again for everyone's quick help and advice.

palbarian

Reaction score
25"

you can get vanities down to 25"s small. People who rebuild apartments use the 25" vanities all the time. www.ugmconline.com has vanity tops to go with those tops too

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Shelf Brackets

The underside is concealed. Heavy duty steel shelf brackets can support a granite countertop and will be unseen except by someone crawling around on the floor. The granite people can tell you what span they want.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
We don't sit, we stand :) If the bracket is shiney, it might not be so bad .... "Ohhh!!! Shiney!"

You could recess the brackets in the granite and wall, and you'd then only see the gussets. Could also hide them behind a large lip on the bottom of the front--like in hotels that have ADA bathrooms.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks