Help new shower in old house

Users who are viewing this thread

just helping out

Reaction score
Ok, here goes, my brother in law decided he would rip out his shower one lazy Sunday. That was a month ago! He had a tiled walk in shower with a glass door and a concrete floor. The problem was it was leaking into the walls. We have since ripped out all tiles, sheet rock and the concrete base. He raised the ceiling and put in a better vent system and lighting. The bathroom now looks like a closet with two holes (one for shower other for toilet) in the floor. The question now is where to go from here. I am the remodeler in the family and live for it. This one has me stumped. On a side note my brother in law likes to think things to death. He is looking into the 3 pieces units from the Onyx Collection (very expensive). There is so much more to this scenario I just don't have time to write a novel. The drain hole is not centered either, so he is wanting to either buy the custom shower or move the drain hole by building a platform . His new thing today is he needs to bleach the concrete slab tonight then wait a week before we do anything. Oh, HELP me what would you do. I hope this isn't to confusing I will admit I ramble some.

Prashster

Reaction score
If the drain hole is not centered and you have practically everything else ripped out anyway, can't you rip up the floor and center the drain?

I wouldn't do a platform. Cheesy.

Check out the Kerdi shower system from Schluter Systems. It's a membrane that you glue right onto drywall. It renders yr shower stall waterproof. You tile on top of that (I know, it's a tile shower, but this one won't leak like yr old one bkz of the membrane).

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ditto the "cheesy" comment! You guys are doing too much work to end up with a jack-knifed carpentry/plumbing job. Do what you have to to center the drain. There are lots of fiberglass shower stalls in various sizes to choose from, one piece if you can get it into the room would be best because no joints to seal.

just helping out

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!!
He is really thinking about going with a unit that is special ordered so he doesn't have to move the drain location. We busted up the shower floor and it wasn't that easy. He is thinking moving the drain would be quite a bit of work that he isn't experienced enough to do. I personally think a tub, then tile the walls, would be the way to go, but you are losing so much floor space. The walk in was nice. I think he may have gotten into something he wasn't ready for. Please keep the ideas coming they are all useful.

Ashley

Which I wanted to add brother-in-law has done a great job. Shower is coming along better than I expected. Think I will help with the grouting. He pretty much has it covered.

Last edited:

jfantinel

Reaction score
new shower pan fiberglass

we got the drain relocated, need recommendations for filling in around new pipe and drain. should i use concrete or sand? the only problem i see with concrete is that it won't allow pipe to flex when i set shower pan down to line up drain assembly. by the way, i am the brother in law mentioned above.... :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks