New to using a well and need help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a home that has a well on it. I am very confused as to whether or not the current well and pump are sufficient for my residential uses including watering a small lawn and flower garden.

Any help on this would be very much appreciated. Thank you

Here is what the well/pump system flow test report showed:

Well depth - 75 feet
Puup depth - 70 ft
Pump size - 1/2 hp

Static Level - 13ft
Casing size - 6 inch
Outlet pipe Diam. - 1 inch

Results - 7 GPM

Drawdown from Static Level - 55 ft
Total Drawdown to 68ft.

Coemmentary
A well/pump flow test was performed on a well with the specifications as indicated by the entries so noted.

The Flow Test comprised a Regulated Discarge from a hosebibb @ Prsesure Tank.

The Flow test was conducted for 15 minutes.

CONCLUSIONS
The Well/Pump System produced 7 GPM for the duration of the test indicating:

Moderate production for domestic household use only

Notes
System includes a 1500 gal Cistern for storage and is included in this report
Well produced 105 gallons @ 8 GPM in 15 minutes before exhaustion
Well recharge was measured at approximately 2 GPM

Marc

Reaction score
I don't know much myself, but I also recently bought a home with a well and noticed one odd thing.

444 said:
The Flow test was conducted for 15 minutes.

My flow test was conducted over 4 hours. The guy who did it said that was important to make sure you not only had the short-term flow, but also to make sure either the well had enough water in it or could replenish it fast enough for extended usage.

I also had around 7gpm, and it's been adequate for our use (2 adults, washing machine, dishwasher).

Speedbump

Reaction score
The important thing to keep in mind, is the last phrase in the report.

"Notes
System includes a 1500 gal Cistern for storage and is included in this report
Well produced 105 gallons @ 8 GPM in 15 minutes before exhaustion
Well recharge was measured at approximately 2 GPM"

This means your well only makes a total of 2 gpm. This is the reason for the cistern. You didn't say if you have any safeguards to protect the submersible pump from pumping dry. If you don't I recommend buying one.

bob...

Reaction score
safeguards to protect the submersible pump from pumping dry.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the recommendation. Where would I buy this? Also, does the other information seem like everything is okay.

Kathleen

Speedbump

Reaction score
You can buy a Pumptec from me if you like.

I'm not sure about the rest of the system. I would need to know what equipment you have to make a determination on that.

I assume you have the submersible filling the cistern with a float of some kind to turn the pump off when the tank is full. Then you would pull from the cistern with a jet pump pressurizing a bladder tank. Filtration is optional, depending on the waters quality.

bob...

Reaction score
Your number

Hi Bob,

How can I contact you? I don't have all the information on the questions you asked but will contact my realor for the answers.

Kathleen

Speedbump

Reaction score
You can click on anyones name to view a list of things you can do. Instant message would be the easiest.

You can click on the link on the bottom of my page to visit my website, the FAQ link will take you to my Frequently asked questions page. I don't think there is anything there that will help your situation though.

bob...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks