cellular core abs

Users who are viewing this thread

lochcarron

Reaction score
Can anyone explain why at Home depot (in Canada) they have signs posted saying do not use cellular core abs pipe below slab. I didn't know there was another type of abs.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
My guess is that the cellular core stuff the walls aren't as strong as the solid stuff. The backfilling process and people walking around while a slab is installed may damage the walls of the cellular core stuff. The cellular core stuff is lighter since there is some air in the pipe vs all resins.

Kristi

Tradesman Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.prettyplumbing.com
There are two grades of ABS... the cellcore and the good stuff :)

Cellcore is much much cheaper, and used for venting and above ground drainage. The more solid, expensive stuff is preferred underground... but that doesn't stop people from putting the cellcore underground! It's flexible, a bit brittle, lighter, thinner... doesn't sound like longevity to me...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
No one in this area that I know of sells ABS. I have no idea why.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks