Pipe sizing for 4 story

Users who are viewing this thread

P-tank

Reaction score
i just moved into an old 4 story 2 family in brooklyn, ny. there's a boiler on the 3rd floor to service top 2 floors (duplex appartment), and each floor has a full bath. i think i should re-do much of the piping in the house and here are my thoughts on pipe sizes:

1" copper from street through cellar feeding 2 risers
3/4" riser for top duplex (1/2" going to boiler for hot water and then to baths)
3/4" riser for lower duplex (lower duplex has it's own HW heater)
1/2" going to each bathroom

as you might be able to ascertain by my lack of lingo i am an amateur but i have sweated lots of copper and installed baseboard heat throughout top 2 floors. also have done various plumbing fixes.

i am working on picking up a NY plumbing code book but any help on sizing would be appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think you should be looking at larger pipe sizing for the incoming main line.
Here is a chart for sizing water by the UPC code, not the same as New York but helpful.

Most plumbers only put two fixtures on a 1/2" line at most.
That would mean you could go 1/2" for hot in one bath, but that the cold would need a 3/4" line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks