shower valve hard to close

Users who are viewing this thread

kjinpb

Reaction score
I have a single knob push/pull type shower valve. My question is, when I pull out the knob to fill the tub, the valve closes like normal but when I pull the diverter to allow the shower to run, the valve pulls out fine but is really hard to push back in. I have two of the same valves installed, one in the master and one in the guest bathroom. I took the cartridge out of the bathroom that works fine and tried it in the other bathroom but still had the same problem. Any suggestions what could be causing this or how I can fix it?

kjinpb

Reaction score
Nevermind, I figured it out. I took some grease I have for my boat that doesn't break down in water. I smeared a little on the shaft of the cartridge and now it works like brand new even though it's abour 25 yrs old. I even did my other cartridge and that one works like new also.

kjinpb

Reaction score
I guess I spoke too soon. It does feel smoother but I still have a problem. It's easy to push/pull when the water is first turned on but after taking a shower for a few minutes, it's still hard to push back in to turn the water off. It feels like I'm trying to push against water or air pressure. It kind of feels like trying to pump a bike tire with a handheld pump when the tire's really full. When I push in the knob, I can feel it push back out. It takes some hard pushing and turning to get it to turn off. Any ideas what is causing this?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you just pulled the inner shaft out and not the whole cartridge.

kjinpb

Reaction score
If what I pulled out is the cartridge, it's not what has to be replaced because it works fine in the other bathroom. If what i pulled out is just an inner shaft, then the cartridge probably will have to be replaced. I'll take a picture of the part I pulled out and post a picture and see if you experts can tell me what it is. I hope it is just an inner shaft. It would probably be easier to try to get the rest of the cartridge out than replace the valve.

kjinpb

Reaction score
pictures

Okay, I took it apart again and took some pictures. Now that I looked closer, it does look like I just pulled the inner shaft part out. Here's the shaft I pulled out and the rest of the valve. Can anyone tell me what brand it is and how to get the rest of the cartridge out? Is it moen like someone stated before? I read somewhere to try a moen cartridge tool (if that's what it is) and if that doesn't work, I could tap the rest of it and thread a bolt in with some washers and slowly turn it out or to try an easy out. What do you suggest?

Attachments

• shower valve 003-2.JPG
    shower valve 003-2.JPG
    24.7 KB · Views: 885
  • shower valve 007-2.jpg
    shower valve 007-2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 903
  • shower valve 008-2.jpg
    shower valve 008-2.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 773

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Moen

It takes a Moen cartridge.

If you would have used the cartridge removing tool before you did what you did to that poor old faucet, you might not be faced with the problem you have now.

If I faced that problem you have I wouldn't waste the customers money. I would replace the whole valve assembly.

I believe most of the plumbers at this site prefer Delta.

The picture looks like reason to do preventive maintenance.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You can use a 1/2", internal, broken pipe removeal tool to get it out. Clean the valve, dry it, apply some plumbers grease then slide the new one in. You may need to hold back on the valve while doing this.

Last edited:

kjinpb

Reaction score
is this the internal pipe wrench your talking about? Are they available at HD/Lowes or is it a plumbing supply store item? Thanks for all your help. I like learning new stuff like this while also saving money.

Attachments

• Internal_Pipe_Wrench.jpg
    Internal_Pipe_Wrench.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 830

kjinpb

Reaction score
thank you

Well, I bought the internal pipe wrench. It was a little tougher to get the sticky cartridge out of 1 bathroom but it did come out. I did the other bathroom also and it worked a lot easier. I bought the original Moen cartridges and lubed them up good and installed them. They both work AWESOME now. Thank you all very much for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks