(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Securing a copper pipe riser

Default Securing a copper pipe riser

I am installing 2 x 1" copper risers from my basement to attic to be used for HW supply/return for a heating coil. I have roughed out the openings between floors and am ready to install the lines. I bought copper plated 2-hole straps to secure the pipes and have the following question. What type of fastener should I use to secure the straps? I'm under the impression that if I use steel screws, they will react with the copper in the straps and cause corrosion which could, over time, cause the pipes to lose their support. Any thoughts?

There must be an electrolyte present to get corrosion. You can use most anything in a dry installation.

For reliabililty, I would use "sheet metal" type screws. "Dry wall" type screws are quite brittle and sometimes break for little apparent reason.

They used to sell those clips with copper or copper-plated nails, but it is often a pain to drive nails in tight areas.

Lightbulb

1 inch plastic pipe tights if you can get them in 1 inch, put the pipe through the plate, put the pipe tight on, drive it down with a hammer and that's it.

Perrycat
    Last edited by perrycat; 05-20-2006 at 03:44 PM. Reason: dumb answer