Leaking drain (pop-up) assembly

Users who are viewing this thread

SLB

Reaction score
I installed a new drain/pop-up assembly in a new bathroom sink and I can't get it to stop leaking. It seems to be leaking between the Mack washer and threaded section of the pop-up body. I have tried tightening the locknut in half-turn increments to no avail. Is it possible that I have over tightened it causing a distortion of the Mack washer and the leak? I didn't have this problem the two previous times that I installed a similar assembly.

-Steve

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Drop the washer and nut down a bit, and push some plumbers putty into the threads. Just a little bit. You don't want any putty on the rubber washer, just in the threads.

Without the putty, water will follow the threads down, past the rubber seal.

SLB

Reaction score
Thanks Terry!
I read the instructions, and they do say something about putting plumber's putty on the threads, but they are not very clear. I thought they were referring to the threads where the tail-piece attaches, not the threads under the washer.

Regards,
Steve

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't think what I posted will be found on any instructions.
You asked why it leaked, and it's a common question.

It's the answer that any plumber that installs faucets would be able to tell you.

I have no idea why the people that write the instructions, never have to install the things and run water through them.
To us plumbers, it's a no brainer.
At least after we've fixed a few that way.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks