Location of Bathroom Vent outlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Rdtompki

Reaction score
I'm remodeling a large master bath (225 sq. ft.) and although the bathroom has 3 windows I'm still opting for a 250 cfm remote vent fan with two ceiling inlets. I'm trying to avoid going through the roof with the vent, but I believe that code requires the outlet to be a minimum of 10' from any window or attic vent. With a shallow roof and three windows it's going to be mighty hard to find a place on the gable end of the house. Anyone have experience with this sort of problem? I am doing this work with a permit so I will also try giving the inspector a call. Seems a bit silly to worry about the windows since the reason I'm installing the ventilation is that we seldom open are windows!

Worst call I'll call a roofer and get a roof jack (is that what it is called?) installed. I could probably do this myself, but I don't want any leaks.

Finnegan

Reaction score
There are restrictions on the locations where you can terminate a DWV vent pipe that include clearances from openable windows and other intakes. Though, I am not familiar with anything that would restrict the location of a bath fan vent outlet.

Prashster

Reaction score
I agree with Finnegan. The drain vent restrictions are to prevent discharging noxious gas near where people could be. The exhaust vent discharges largely moisture, and I imagine the restrictions are the same as that of dryer and oven vents. My dryer discharges right next to my door, so I infer there's no restriction.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Through the roof is always better.
Anywhere on the roof, if it's higher than the windows is ok.
The 10' limit is for vents terminated below the roof.

Rdtompki

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Since I've to good access to the attic and a shallow roof I'll opt for the roof jack. This will somewhat simplify routing the vent duct.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks