(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Broken pipe on tub spout

  1. #1

    Default Broken pipe on tub spout

    Hello - I was replacing the tub-shower spout and accidentally snapped the copper pipe, there is still about an inch sticking out from the wall, but I am unable to thread the plastic piece all the way on the copper pipe for the new spout.

    Is there any way to solder with a coupling that fits inside the broken piece? If I use a regular coupling as that keeps the edge of the spout about and inch or so out from the shower wall.

  2. #2
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    New England


    Without a picture, I'm not sure what you have. If the fitting is copper, can you see the other end? If so, you could probably unsolder that one and install a new one. Then you could thread the new spout on it normally. If you have a digital camera, take a shot of it. Crop it down so it is not that big and only shows the necessary parts so you meet the max size limits of this site and post it in a reply.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  3. #3


    Thank you for your reply! Unfortunately I do not have a digital camera. The pipe is copper and 1/2 inch and the hole is just a little larger (about 3/4 - 1 inch).

    I had some scrap 1/2 copper pipe that I cut to the size of the broken piece, when I used a regular coupling the spout sticks out over an inch from the tub wall. I was hoping that there was a coupling that would fit inside the pipe rather than out??

    I can see that the piece goes in about another 2 inches and then gets wider as it connects from the faucet supply (one-handle).

  4. #4
    Plumber, Contractor, Attorney LonnythePlumber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Wichita, Kansas

    Cool Nose Spout

    I am not aware of an interior coupling. You would need to replace the copper stub out from the 90 in the wall out, for your slip spout. You could use a spout with female threads at it's outlet referred to as a nose spout. Then you could use your coupling, piece of pipe and a copper to male thread adapter.

  5. #5


    Thank you! I realized that I can use a coupling and a piece of 1/2 pipe and a male adapter as you wrote. This will replace the plastic piece and screw directly into the spout.

    Thanks for your help!

  6. #6
    Plumber jimbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    San Diego


    In the future if you wish, you can take a regular photo such as a polaroid and scan in into a free account at www.photobucket.com to get it on the net.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts