Tile Shower Drain Height

Users who are viewing this thread

jsnell22001

Reaction score
Hi - I'm currently doing a bathroom remodel and have a problem with my shower drain. I'm planning to do a tile shower with a dry pack mud base on the first floor of a concrete slab house. The shower used to be a tub/shower combo in which the drain sits a bit higher. I had to move the drain a foot or so to get it into the middle of the shower. I've cut out the old tub p-trap and chisled out the concrete and now that I've done that it's obvious that the drain height will end up being too high. As it sits now, if I were to put a 90 degree elbow from the drain tail pipe to the adjustable tile shower drain, I'd have to build up the dry pack mud 6 inches or so. Basically, the elbow is at the slap height. When you put the drain on top of that it sits a good 4 - 6 inches above the slab height. Hope that makes sense.

To correct the problem, I thought of 3 options:
1. Lower the main drain to where it connects to the vent stack. I don't think this will work because the drain that leaves the house and goes to the septic is right where everything connects. Can't really do any lower there.
2. Can I extend the depth of the p-trap to go lower and therefore start the run up to the drain from a lower point. As long as the drain itself has an angle down to the p-trap AND is higher than the top of the p-trap am I ok or is this going to give poor drainage.
3. I've looked on the web for a different "low profile" tile shower drain. If someone made a shower drain that would fit right onto the drain tailpipe without a right angle that would lower me down and reduce the height. So far I haven't been able to find such a drain.

Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations. Option 2 sounds like my best bet right now. Thanks in advance!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't know if this meets US codes, or if they sell it here, but see the attached file for a horizontal drain from www.wedi.de

Attachments

• Wedi drain detail.pdf
    25.1 KB · Views: 883

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Cut the "P" tap off from the horizontal pipe. Extend the pipe to the new drain location and then install a new 2" "P" trap. If the horizontal pipe is not 2" find a place where it is 2" to connect the drain. Everything else you are describing will create a terrible drain, and one which might not be cleanable when it gets obstructed with hair.

jsnell22001

Reaction score
I got to looking at things last night and figured out that if I connect the p-trap directly to the drain, this allows me to get the proper height. It essentially eliminates the 90 degree elbow and drops the drain down to the floor. I think this is also what HJ is recommending.

Feeling much better about my drain situation now. Thanks!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks