Measuring Rough IN

Users who are viewing this thread

smurfmeister999

Reaction score
I have a toilet (unnamed but with a UPC stamp) and I'm not sure how to measure the rough in. When I measure from the wall to the centre of the bolts I get 11 1/4 inch. I don't know whether the bolts are always aligned with the center of the drain or not. The wall is ceramic so I'm not sure whether it's shortening the actual rough in length or not. If my measurement is correct, will a toto 12 inch rough in toilet fit?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The bolt holes are in the center of the the drain outlet, so that's measure from that point to the finished wall. Usually there is a little fudge factor, but don't count on it too much.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Don't measure any base molding. In your case , the rough may have been set at 12 assuming just drywall. When the ceramic was added, it took away 1/2".

You will have to look at actual spec sheets for toilets. Many toilets have 1/2" tolerance; some will NOT work with being 3/4" under.

maddfrog

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat - I measured from the drywall to the center of the bolts and it's 11 1/4. I'm just beginning a bathroom remodel and we're planning on replacing the toilet during the process.

How can I determine whether a specific toilet will work?

Are there any options for making a toilet designed to work with the standard 12" rough-in work other than moving the flange?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Almost all toilets are built with 3/4" of fudge room in the back.

If you click on a toilets pdf spec file, it will show the back wall clearance.

smurfmeister999

Reaction score
I checked the specs on my toilet and it appears that it has a 5/8" space allocation between it and the wall. If I add a 1/4" for the ceramic wall I should be ok. Thx

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks