(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Measuring Rough IN

Hybrid View

Default Measuring Rough IN

I have a toilet (unnamed but with a UPC stamp) and I'm not sure how to measure the rough in. When I measure from the wall to the centre of the bolts I get 11 1/4 inch. I don't know whether the bolts are always aligned with the center of the drain or not. The wall is ceramic so I'm not sure whether it's shortening the actual rough in length or not. If my measurement is correct, will a toto 12 inch rough in toilet fit?

The bolt holes are in the center of the the drain outlet, so that's measure from that point to the finished wall. Usually there is a little fudge factor, but don't count on it too much.

Don't measure any base molding. In your case , the rough may have been set at 12 assuming just drywall. When the ceramic was added, it took away 1/2".

You will have to look at actual spec sheets for toilets. Many toilets have 1/2" tolerance; some will NOT work with being 3/4" under.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The Toto Drake and the Ultramax will work with 11-1/4" on the rough-in.

I'm in the same boat - I measured from the drywall to the center of the bolts and it's 11 1/4. I'm just beginning a bathroom remodel and we're planning on replacing the toilet during the process.

How can I determine whether a specific toilet will work?

Are there any options for making a toilet designed to work with the standard 12" rough-in work other than moving the flange?

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Almost all toilets are built with 3/4" of fudge room in the back.

If you click on a toilets pdf spec file, it will show the back wall clearance.