Plumbing make up

Users who are viewing this thread

Oliver

Reaction score
I ran all necessary piping (PVC-drainage and Copper-water) in the wall and under the subfloor. Now the cosmetics in the bathroom - shiny pipes comming out of the walls, shiny stop valves and shiny covers around the pipes. I can't find any suitable stuff in HD. Any suggestion to what should I look for and methods of installation?

Thanks

Prashster

Reaction score
The shiny plate yr looking for is called an escutcheon; it covers the hole through the drywall.

There are 3 types of stop valves: threaded, compression, and sweated. The posts I've read on this forum mainly recommend sweating. I guess it's the most reliable. I, a non-pro, however, chose compression. Here's why:

If I chose sweat, I would have had to put the escutcheon and drywall on first, before the stop. For me, this made sweating the stop a little tricky. The compression kind was easier to get on in my pinched situation. I figure if I have leaking probs, I can sweat one on down the road. Please, if any plumbers are giggling that I missed an easy trick for assembling the drywall/escutcheon/valve properly, advise.

I don't have an opinion on threaded stops.

FYI, all 3 types of stops are available at home centers; the one you tried may just have been poorly stocked. However, my policy (founded or unfounded) is to buy all valves at a plumbing supply store. I've read some horror stories about bad parts and really don't trust anymore buying anything but pvc and copper from the big stores.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks