Pullout Kitchen Faucet head is leaking...

Users who are viewing this thread

thegoldenhand

Reaction score
Pullout Kitchen Faucet Head is now OK - New Problem, mounting the sink???

Hi! Can anybody point me to where I can find a replacement part for a pullout kitchen faucet? My kitchen faucet's pullout head is leaking and I'm kind of in the dark as to where I can find a replacement for it. I don't want to take down the whole faucet again and replace with a new one as I had a tough time installing it. I had to replace sinks thats why I had to remove and reinstall the faucet. The faucet is generally new. I've checked and its not the connection where the leak is coming from. It is actually coming from near the connector. The faucet looks almost like this:

Pull out faucet from hdepot

It's only the head I will need. Do you guys know where I can find one? Pacific sales? Ace Hware? Home Depot? Lowes?

Sorry I'm pretty desperate to find one. Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
First, when you say the head is leaking, do you mean it drips water from the nozzle when it should be off? In that case, the problem is the faucet cartridge, not the pull-out.

If it is leaking around where the hose connects, then that seal can be replaced. Pull-out spouts can fail/leak in other ways. We need to be very specific to identify the parts needed.

I could not open your link, but from Home Depot is it a Glacier Bay? They have and 800 number printed on the box for free parts and tech, support. If it is another brand, they also have lifetime warranty on parts and an 800#

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

You may need a hose, rather than the head. But, in any case, you have to know the brand of faucet. They all "look" the same, but the actual attachments vary from brand to brand and you need the right one.

Prashster

Reaction score
I assume you've checked the obvious: the head and hose are screwed together tightly, right? Mine loosens over time through normal use and has to be periodically tightened.

thegoldenhand

Reaction score
i see the leak coming from where the connection to the hose is made. its not exactly coming from the connection as i've tapes the threads over and over to make sure it's sealed properly. also made sure the rubber gasket inside is well seated. the thread is this one black plastic that's capped at the bottom of the faucet head. i think it's the seal of that thread piece to the bottom of the faucet head that's been causing the leaks. i don't know how to reseal it as the plastic doesn't seem to go off. Is there anything I can put outside as sort of a sealant? Can i use PVC solvent?

I'm having trouble with the brand coz this one's a generic brand faucet I got from **** about 6 months ago.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Any threads in this whole situation are strictly mechanical....that is their purpose is to bring two surfaces together to squeeze on a rubber seal. Teflon tape can only cause further leaks.

If this is the house brand from a box store ( blue or orange ) the whole thing should have a lifetime warranty, and they should be able to tell you how to get parts. You do have to figure out how this goes together, and tell them what part you need. Pictures would help.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it has a rubber internal seal, take the teflon tape off and try to screw it back on tight without the tape. If that doesn't fix it, then you probably need a new hose. While you have it apart, see if any of the rubber washers are replaceable. Don't force it trying to take it out since you might break something. As noted, this kind of a fitting is a smaller version of your watering hose...it seals not by the threads on an interference fit, but by tightening it up against the washer.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
If it's a Moen, just call their customer service 800 number and they'll send you whatever parts you need.

Prashster

Reaction score
To answer your question whether you can just wrap or caulk it with a sealant, I believe no. That water is under a good amount of pressure. I've tried this several times myself - willing to throw aesthetics out of the window (read, gobs of silicone caulk and ugly tape). It has never worked. Screwed together pipe threads have way more force than you can achieve with tape wrap or caulk.

thegoldenhand

Reaction score
Faucet problem solved - now having trouble mounting the sink :(

Thanks for all your help. My problem was solved with a short visit to ACE Hardware. Lo and behold, they have a faucet head replacement part that matches the threads on my existing unit for $25.

Now the sink is what's giving me the headache. I got the Sterling double-sink in stainless. I'm having a hard time putting the mounting clips. I'd put it on and the moment I drop it into the opening, some would fall off. I also made quite a mess putting the sealant on the surface of the countertop instead of on the rim of the sink. The sink I got doesn't have the u-channel where I can easily twist in the clip. Its one where I'd have to slide in the clip to the bottom of the sink. I'm thinking of starting over by buying a different sink with the u-channel so it's easier to put the clips on.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You could try putting some plumber's putty on the clips to hold them in place temporarily while setting the sink down.

perrycat

Reaction score
If it's a drop in sink, or rimless they call it too, just using bath and tub caulk is good. You could use 100% silicone but it's so hard to work with, the "silicon...ized.." caulk is good and easy to clean up.
A gorilla isn't going to be hanging on it, and once the caulk sets good you'll need a gorilla to pull it off anyway......in other words maybe dont even use the clips.
Stupid story here.....had a customer who had this really nice REAL maple butcher block counter top made.....called to have a sink and faucet and g.d. installed......I started just using caulk, and the lady insisted that if it came with clips they must serve some sort of purpose and if they're in the box she wanted them on the sink......
Well, the countertop was about 2 and a half inches thick, and so I tried my hand at being a countertop man, ....don't try this!!!......I didn't have a router or anything, but I had a paddle bit and a cordless drill.
I marked where the clips were going to go, took out the sink and proceeded to try to "channel" little indentations in the wood where the clips would go......well I ended up chewing up the top face of the fake drawer on the front of the base cabinet and they both..husband and wife were .....less than hospitable at that point and called the cabinet guy to come estimate the "damage" .....long story short......I'll NEVER in my life again take a tool to a piece of wood......Im a plumber not a cabinet guy, not a counter top guy, and next time something doesn't work right, I'm telling them "call the cabinet guy again cause he has to change this." and come back when it's done.
Perrycat

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks