Caulking New Shower Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMcD

Reaction score
I had a new brass drain installed in my neo-angle shower. The PVC pipe is press fitted into the brass fitting that has about two inches of rubber casket that seals against the PVC pipe.

My question is: will this not leak over time?

Shouldn’t the plumber put caulk around the top edge of the PVC pipe (around the pipe edge that you can see if you pull off the top strainer)?

Dan

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I use these all-brass drains for replacements of the plastic ones that seem to break all the time. The key to these drains is that compression from the brass ring that is used to compress the rubber seal does all the work. There should be no reason to worry about leaking if it is properly installed.

It will not hurt to use caulk in the area you mentioned if you feel it would help. The only thing I see that goes wrong with them is the putty on the flange. If the bottom of the unit was not set in mortar the bottom will flex and slowly break down the putty and cause a leak. No flexing in the bottom and putty can last for years without problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks