How to set drain for basement bathtub

Users who are viewing this thread

tdanna14

Reaction score
I'm installing a bathtub in my basement. I have the drains laid out but have a few questions:

1) I have an 'access pit' setup right now to connect the tub drain to the house drain. Do I need to leave that accessible or can I fill in the whole pit (i.e. covering the j-trap and all) w/concrete? If I don't fill it, how do I make sure no ground water seeps up?
2) I need to use a studor vent for the bathroom since I can't tie into the roof vent. How high do I need to place that above the vanity drain. Can I simply put it under the vanity cabinent?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Prashster

Reaction score
Code may require that you fill in the 'access pit' because of radon gas.
As far as ground water seepage, the concrete won't prevent a rising water table. The plastic sheet under the foundation (assuming you have one) is to inhibit water vapor. But rising water will come around and through the barrier and up thru the floor, regardless of what's there. If you ever have a water problem, you have to fix it with a sump or improving your land's drainage.

I know some places admit the use of a studor or other type of air admittance valve for bar sinks or islands - but I am not sure they're permissible for tubs and toilets. Check w/bldg offc, since this'll be specific to yr municipality.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks