(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Uneven pressure after repair

then I can test the cut in/out water pressure from the schrader valve?

Test = check

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

The air will compress until the water pressure and air pressure in the tank are equal. If you don't precharge the tank, you will end up overstretching the bladder and causing it to likely fail early, plus, if there is no air pressure in the tank ,there is nothing to push the water out of the tank and your pump will need to run with any valve opening. Since water doesn't compress for all practical purposes, to get the pressure to stop the pump, you are expanding pipes, hoses, etc a very small amount. Since that probably only takes a few teaspoons of volume, when you open a valve, it drops instantly, and the pump comes on.

Schrader valves aren't designed for wet environments...

If you have one of those valve covers that has a split head sticking out, it is used to tighten or loosen the valve from the shell. Yours could be loose, and would leak air. After filling it up, when you draw water into a glass, do you see a lot of small bubbles in it? Or, did you get any spurts of air when you opened a faucet?
    Last edited by jadnashua; 05-17-2006 at 03:34 PM.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I'm now sure I've got a blown bladder.
    Can some one please give me an idea of the cost of a new tank here in NE FL, I can call tomorrow so no biggie. I'm just not going to be able to get another one right away and was hoping someone could tell me if there is any way I can get by w/this one for awhile without burning my pump motor up or any solution short of getting a new tank?

Can I run this thing safely with it kicking on and off every couple of seconds? If so, for how long at a time can I run it that way? I can add air and it will hold for awhile so if it kicks on every 15 seconds or so, will that burn it up? I guess what I'm trying to ask is what is the most amount of times it can kick on and off before I risk burning it up (kick on every 5 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec.

Just shooting in the dark here but I think I read here somewhere that as long as it's running constantly, it won't hurt any thing, is there a way I can adjust things to make that happen?

I need to run it a minimum of 1 hr per day to save my small nursery but if I burn it up I'm really screwed. I know those are some oddball questions but, I have an oddball situation and any suggestions would be helpful.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Constant on/off cycles will eventually both burn up the contacts in the pressure switch and burn up the pump motor. Can't help you with the problem...maybe someone else can, sorry.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

That's OK, Jim, you've been a lot of help and I appreciate it.

I just realized I can just go check a friends pump and probably get an idea of what's safe by checking normal cycle time on his and turning my water pressure down at the wells water shut off valve so it only comes on somwhere close to normal.

I can deal with low pressure for awhile.

Previous member

The people who make that motor say not to start it more than 300 times in a 24 hour period. That's 12.5 times per hour. So you can see what your doing to the motor and other electrical components.

If you have an air compressor, you can hook it up to the schrader valve on top of the tank, turn off the pump, open a faucet and blow all the water out of the tank (if it will come out) then turn the pump back on. It should run normal for a few weeks or so.

You can buy a tank from me if you like, just click on the link below. I am in Florida also, so I'm afraid you'll have to pay sales tax. Bummer.
    bob...

Thanks, for the advice on buying a little time, Bob, I'll do that.

I'm going to check to see if my bladder is replacable and if not, I'll look into the tanks at the link.

Is there an easy way to tell if the bladder is replacable?

Previous member

If it is replacable, you will do better with a new tank.

bob...

Well, I removed the tank and turned it upside down with plenty of water in it and got no water from the Schrader valve, plus, I forced all the water out to do the temporary fix mentiond and it wouldn't work so, I guess I have a small hole in the tank itself.

I'm not sure of the exact configuration of the bladder but, there is rust present on the bottom of the tank from it not being housed so, I assume the leak is there.

Anyway, I still have to put the tank purchase off and it seems I read here that it's OK to run the pump constantly. I've just set things up so I water all my plants at the same time and the pump never kicks off untill I turn it back off at the fuse box.

Just wanted to make sure that was OK and if so, is there a maximum amount of time I should run it constantly like that?

Thanks again for all the help.

Previous member

For most pumps, as long as you are using water. There is no limit.

bob...

It would make sense that they were designed for that but, wanted to be sure.

Thanks, Bob.