Yellow Teflon Tape

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Can you tell me if the yellow tape is safer than the white. I know that it"s thicker, but if the white is wrapped around the pipe an extra turn, wouldn't it be the same? :confused:

Thanks...you guys are great!

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
What is your application? Several layers of white tape often works, but sometimes it doesn't. Paste is good in cases where tape won't work. I think yellow is for gas pipe, but I have never used yellow tape or work with gas piping.

Dubldare

Plumber/Gasfitter
Reaction score
On tapered pipe threads, maybe (but not allowed where I am licensed).

If you have a pre-made, flexible gas connector, then by all means no. The threads on such fittings are running threads, much like a nut and bolt. Such threads only purpose is to 'smash' the piping against a fitting. Any tape dope will only serve to hinder the 'smashing' of the tubing against the fitting.

If it is a flexible gas connector, take time to read the tag on it, if it hasn't been removed. Lot's of info there. Espescially how they are single use items: once they're connected, that's it.

If you are using trak-pipe or wardflex, the threads serve the same purpose as above. Then again, I had to watch a couple videos, assemble a joint or two and take a test to be able to work on that stuff.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
As already stated, yellow is for gas plumbing. Personally I prefer regular plumber pipe dope. For me, pipe dope is faster and easier than tape. Some guys use both, but I'm not sure there's a benefit to do so. Also, only use tape or dope on tapered threads.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
From the plumber and writer Peter Hemp

use 4 tight wraps tape then rector seal #5. with this combo you can back off a gas fitting 90 degrees , and never have a leak.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
hj said:
FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATION

The action or habit of judging something to be worthless

I guess that means the word is self defining.

Nice wit, I like it.

Finnegan

Reaction score
I believe that the yellow is reated for gas as well as water or air. I find it easier to just use pipe dope though. I only use tape when I do not want to make a mess.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
hj said:
FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATION

The action or habit of judging something to be worthless

I guess that means the word is self defining.

So I guess you FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATION the word FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATION and deemed it to be worthless.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks