How to tie in to cast iron drain pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

AMash

Reaction score
Thank you for this forum! Lots of good information.

I have moved a bathroom sink over about a foot and need to move the drain over accordingly. I am able to get in the wall from the closet behind the bathroom and found the cast iron drain stack loose in its connection to the fitting in the slab foundation. There was no evidence of leaking. With some pushing and pulling, I was able to lift the drain pipe out of the fitting in the slab. There appears to still be a bead of lead in the fitting in foundation. My plan is (was?) to replace the entire stack with PVC using a wye to angle over to where I need the drain to meet the sink. Is this an acceptable solution? Any suggestions for how to connect the new PVC stack to the iron pipe fitting in the foundation?

Thank you for the guidance!
Alan

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They make a rubber doughnut to make that connection. Ask at a good plumbing store. Take careful measurments and use a wire brush to clean up the hub where you want to insert the doughnut and pvc.

AMash

Reaction score
Thank you. I found a donut and it looks like it will work. My trouble is the lead solder remains in the female end of the pipe through the foundation. How do I remove that lead so I can then wire brush the pipe clean for the donut fitting?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It will pry out...underneath it is what the call oakum - oiled rope. Try not to drop pieces down the drain as you go. A heavy screw driver and a hammer to get it started and it will break away from the cast iron.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks