unsweating cast iron connections

Users who are viewing this thread

rblick

Reaction score
I am remodling my basement bath and have broken open the floor to replace galvanized DWV lines.

What I found was:

The 2" galvanized shower and sink drains connect to a reducing nipple threaded on one side and leaded to a 4" Cast Iron Y on the other.
The toilet is a 4" lead bend also connected to the 4" Y.

Can I unsweat the lead bend and the reducing nipple, then use 4" PVC donuts? Or is there a better course of action? I could use PVC threaded adapter on the reducing nipple.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You should be able to. I find it easier to cut out the lead.

rblick

Reaction score
Is it hard to do? I've never done it before. Will a regular propane torch do the trick? Will I need alot of heat, pulling, twisting, banging, etc.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
A regular propane torch (pencil tip) on a 4" hub will take forever and might never work The hub will draw away lots of the heat.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
You need heat, not temperature, so any "little" torch isn't going to do much good. I only had to disassemble one of these joints in my life. I drilled a couple of holes in the lead and used a tool I don't remember the name of to pry the lead out of the joint. It looks like a giant corkscrew with only 1/2 turn or so -- I think it's an automotive tool, maybe used in brake service. I poked the business end in the drilled holes and worked the lead out bit by bit around the pipe. I had good access, which helped. Once you get underneath the lead it isn't bad.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks