Exterior Corner Moulding

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Hey all,
I went to the Blue Box today to get some exterior trim moulding for my new windows. I've included a picture of what I'm looking for. I thought I might just get some 2x2 sized stock and rip it down and put the rabbit in. I couldn't find what I needed! They had a similiar stain grade pine moulding, but it had rounded corners and wasn't quite the right dimensions.

The closest that I found was some primed pine brick moulding that I could make work. I'd need to rip it down, but it was like $12/8ft or $15/10ft! The cellular vinyl PVC stuff was cheaper than this.

I did find some select pine 1x2 that I thought I might glue together and rip them down, but I wasn't sure this was a good idea for exterior trim. What do you think?

I was tempted to just buy some #2 SYP 2x2s and call it a day, but not sure this would hold up as well.

How should I procede?

Attachments

• corner moulding.jpg
    corner moulding.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 424

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Probably you'll have to make your own. If you do glue it up, make sure the glue is waterproof.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Specialty moldings like this are sometimes a regional item. I have never seen a stock piece like this in these parts. Looks like something site-made by the carpenter. Cut down some redwood or cedar 2x2, of glue up some pieces of rough-sawn doug fir.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
I discovered a place online that carries it, but its not worth ordering. Douglas fir is what is used in almost the whole house inside and out (except for the oak floor and moulding downstairs). I love the old growth doug fir. Oh well. Blue box didn't have cedar in the size I need, but I checked the Orange Box and it does. I'll probably go that route and rip a few from a select 2x4. Thanks

Thx
Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks