toilet layout question

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Hello

I am in the middle of a master bathroom re-model and have encountered a dilemma. My preferred layout has my toilet mounted perpendicular to the floor joist. Each floor joist is a double 2 x 8. The 2 x 4 wall behind the toilet lies just on the back side of the double 2 x 8 floor joist. Viewing the layout from side the elevation I have the following conditions.

? 2 x 4 wall running parallel to the floor joist. The finished wall surface facing the toilet is on the back side of the double floor joist.

? The spacing between the floor joists are 14 ??.

? Measuring out 12? from the finished wall I am 9? from one floor joist and 5 ?? from the other.

? All of the drawings and layouts for roughing in a toilet show a closet bend just below the floor flange. Q ? Is it possible to have a vertical drop directly below the floor flange so I can clear the floor joist?

? Q - If this is possible can I then install a sanitary tee at the wall location (~ 14? from the centerline of the toilet flange).

? My plan is to have a dedicated vent for the toilet. Q - Can I use a 2? vent line? ? I live in Northern California where there is no or very little snow. The previous vent was a 1 ?? but the toilet never did flush well.

? This house was built around 1960 using 4? cast iron for the main drain. Q ? If the above is all acceptable do you recommend 3? or 4? piping from the toilet to existing main drain?

Thank you in advance for your support in this matter

lbl

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can drop vertically from the flange, to a 90 bend and go below the floor joists, and then over the wall to a santee fitting.
Santees can be used on the vertical for vents
Wye fittings are used on the horizontal for vents.
A 2" vent will work there. UPC plumbing code is used in CA I believe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks