Old Porcher Veneto GPF?

Users who are viewing this thread

angeleno

Reaction score
Can anyone help me confirm whether my old Porcher Veneto toilets (perhaps pre-1990) conform to code at 1.6 gpf?

Thanks!

veneto_main.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
1.6 GPF is the Federaly mandated maximum amount of water to be used to flush a toilet.

Congress sets the GPF.

Hope it makes you feel better knowing that your tax dollars are hard at work. :)

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Usually 1.6 toilets actually have the number 1.6 molded into the porceleian inside the tank. If not found, then you would have to conatact American Standard (Porcher) to find the specs on your toilet.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Easy to figure out. Shut off the supply. Mark or measure where the water is in the tank. Flush the toilet. Take a big measuring cup or say a 1-quart container. Refill the tank manually until it is back to the original level. Keep track of the amount your poured in...Voila, you've measured how much water is used in a flush.

angeleno

Reaction score
The tank capacity is five quarts. Since the water flow to the bowl shuts off quickly after flush, I think it is 1.6 gpf.

The American Standard web site says the Veneto is 1.6 and the tank interior parts look the same as the parts diagram.

The question is whether earlier versions might have been, say, 1.8 gpf, something that's hard to eye-ball. Worst case, later today I'll put a bucket under one of the units.

I'll put in another call to Porcher.

For the record, these toilets, installed by the previous owners, have performed very well for me.

Also for the record, it's very frustrating that water conservation certification in Los Angeles depends on individual plumbers making guesses about a toilet mechanism they've never seen before. The first plumber did call American Standard, who said that the model was 1.6 gpf, but he didn't believe her.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
angeleno said:
The tank capacity is five quarts. Since the water flow to the bowl shuts off quickly after flush, I think it is 1.6 gpf.

The American Standard web site says the Veneto is 1.6 and the tank interior parts look the same as the parts diagram.

If the tank only holds 5 quarts (= 1.25 gal), how does it give you 1.6 gpf?

Re-read jadnashua's post -- he's got the right idea for finding out the gpf of this fixture.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Most toilets overfill, so measuring just what it take to fill up the tank vs what extra it takes to fill up (and usually overfill) the toilet bowl are not taken into account. So, if the tank holds 5-quarts and not all is dumped (typical), then the only part left is to see how much it takes to refill the bowl. Sounds like a 1.6g...

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I wonder if Angeleno meant the tank holds 5 gallons?

I still can't figure out how one could get a 1.6 gallon flush from 1.25 gallons of water...

Jadnashua

Reaction score
AFter you flush, you not only fill up the tank, you fill up the bowl with water from the overflow tube...so you'll use more water than it takes to fill up the tank.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
"Also for the record, it's very frustrating that water conservation certification in Los Angeles depends on individual plumbers making guesses about a toilet mechanism they've never seen before. "

Again, I say that is the reason most 1.6 toilets have the number molded into the porcelain. Have you looked to see? If it does not say 1.6 then it probably isn't. Down here in SD, unless you are applying for a rebate, they rely on the owner (seller ) of a house to self-certify the 1.6 gpf. I don't believe anyone checks up on that.

veneto-black.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks