How to get rid of moonflower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
I have some moonflower vine (Ipomoea alba) in a planting bed, also containing roses. The moonflower is so darn fast growing that it engulfs anything near it, especially the roses. It smothers anything it touches. I want to get rid of it, and have been pulling it out. Anyone have a permanent way of getting rid of it? Don't want to use Round Up because of close proximity of the moonflower to other stuff I want to keep. Thanks.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
I put Roundup on weeds and grass in beds by using a foam paint brush. If you get some on good plants you can wash it off immediately with water.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Main thing with Roundup is to keep it off of the leaves of desirable plants. It isn't absorbed by the woody parts, but spraying it around Roses is a bit risky because of the chance of drift or accidentally hitting the leaves. Once you get then weeds out, use Casaron or similar product to prevent weeds from germinating.

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
One mans weeds...anothers flower.
I inherited moonflower (slower growing shrub variety) when I bought my home. It grows back every year-bigger.
It's one of the biggest/beautiful flower we have here in the southwest.
It's controversial so consequently people are split 50/50 on treating them as bedding plants or weeds. Good luck...I wouldn't like them messing up rose bushes either. Under the right conditions - the flowers can actually get nearly a foot long-and these smell very sweet. In the high desert there are only a very few flowers that will grow in sand and searing direct sunlight.

This (Jimson/Daytura) was the original "Loco Weed" BTW. In fact last month I was going to mail some seeds left over from last winter to a woman in Oklahoma who likes them as well. Until I discovered they passed a possession law there fairly recently. They are quite Toxic.

Last edited:

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. Yes I do believe moonflower could be nice under the right conditions, but not in the beds I have. What probabl happened is 2 homeowners ago, they had moonflower in a good sense. Then the previous owners to us put in roses and went away from the vines. Now I can't get rid of it and will probably try the Round Up with a paint brush. I have some other stuff that I don't want but keeps coming up. I'll try to i.d. and post it here.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks